General Information

hands on laptop

The University of Minnesota offers quality certificate, undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral, and professional level online programs in flexible, accessible formats:

Fully online—All coursework can be completed online. For programs that require a practicum/rotation, as long as students can complete these in their own community, the program is still considered online.

Primarily online—At least 80% of instruction in the entire program is online. An intensive but short period of in-person coursework may be required (e.g., two weeks' summer session). No required course in the program should necessitate that students travel to a classroom location weekly.

Partially online or hybrid—Between 50% and 80% of the instruction in the entire program is online.

COVID-19 Notice: The information above refers to programs that were originally designed to be delivered online and does not apply to in-person degree programs with class formats and locations that have changed due to COVID 19.

For Faculty and Staff

U of M faculty and staff members who would like support for their online educational efforts should contact the Center for Educational Innovation.

Getting Started

First Steps

We're here to help you get from point A to B in your educational journey, and we understand that it can seem difficult to know where to start. The following steps are designed to guide you through the selection and registration process.

Step 1: Decide what you want to do.

Step 2: Browse the offerings.

Step 3: Register or apply.

  • New U of M students seeking a degree: Contact the program listed on the website to get specific advising to confirm that you meet the admissions qualifications.
  • Current U of M degree students: You may register for these classes via the web just as you would for face-to-face classes.
  • Credit course students: Find the credit course you want and follow these registration steps (see below).
  • Noncredit course students: Select the noncredit offering you want and click on the link to enroll. For many offerings you can enroll and pay directly online. For some classes, you will be given instructions on how to mail or phone in your registration.

If you'd like more individualized guidance, contact our support center at 800-991-8636 or

Technical Requirements

You will need a computer, a high-speed internet connection, the recent version of any web browser, and access to common tools and software like word processors, email, etc. Some courses may have other software or technology requirements as well. Before class begins, you can visit the course site and the system will help you set up your browser for the software the instructor is using.

Credit Course Registration

For U of M enrolled students: Registration times vary by campus, but is usually the same time as classroom-based course registration. Check the website for your particular campus for details.

For non-U of M enrolled students: Generally, you can enroll as a nondegree-seeking student up until the first day of class, pending course availability.

If you are a U of M student taking an online credit course from your campus:
Register via the MyU portal, the same way you do for your classroom-based courses.

If you are a U of M student taking an online credit course from a different U of M campus:

  • Check with an advisor before taking courses at another campus to ensure the course will meet your general education and/or major requirements.
  • Fill out a copy of the multi-institutional form, and have it processed by your home campus. You will need to consult with your college advisor and financial aid office to complete the application. If you are planning to take online courses from more than one U of M campus you will need to fill out a separate form for each campus.
  • Students currently enrolled on one campus should check with an advisor before taking courses at another campus to ensure the course will meet their general education and/or major requirements.

If you are a non-U of M student taking an online credit course:
To register for a course, follow the links below for the campus offering the course.

  • Twin Cities: Follow the instructions on One Stop for nondegree students.
  • Crookston: Contact the Admissions office at or 218-281-8681 to determine eligibility and space availability.
  • Duluth: Follow the instructions on the Continuing Education website.
  • Morris: Follow the Morris online learning instructions for non-U of M students. 

Transferring Credits

Transferring Credits as a Current U of M Student

It is possible to take a course from another U of M campus. However, the credits may not count if you are near graduation, have already transferred many other credits from a different institution, or the course may not apply to your major. You should speak to your advisor before registering for any course.

To take an online course offered by another U of M campus, you will need to fill out a multi-institutional form and have it processed by your home U of M campus in order to enroll.

Please note: A separate form must be completed for every semester you choose to take a course from a campus other than your home campus. If you choose to take online courses from more than one U of M campus, you must fill out a form for each campus from which you are taking courses, even if those courses are taken in the same semester.

The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

You can take online U of M courses to satisfy the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum is a collaborative effort among two- and four-year public colleges and universities in Minnesota to help students transfer their work in general education. Completion of a defined transfer curriculum at one institution enables a student to receive credit for such work upon admission to any other participating institution. This transfer curriculum consists of ten areas of competency and completion of these is certified at the sending institution.

Find out more about the specific requirements at U of M campuses: Twin CitiesCrookstonDuluth, and Morris.

Transferring Credits as a Non-U of M Student

If you would like to know if a U of M online course will apply to a degree outside of the U of M, please contact the institution to which you would like to transfer the credits.

If you have taken previous credits and would like to know if they will transfer into an online U of M program, please contact the U of M department that administers that degree.

Additional Information

More information about seamless transfer in Minnesota higher education can be found on the Minnesota Transfer website.

You can also visit the nationwide Transferology network to explore your transfer options.

Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees for University of Minnesota degrees and certificates varies depending on the college and campus. Generally, the cost of taking an online course is tuition plus college and online fees. Online only programs may have a different tuition and fee structure in some cases. Visit your program's individual web page to learn more about tuition and fees for that program. To calculate your fees, contact One Stop for the campus offering the degree program: Twin CitiesCrookstonDuluth, or Morris.

For a list of approved online programs, please see the University of Minnesota Online degrees and certificates.

Financial Aid

Eligibility for financial aid is dependent on your personal circumstances as well as the program you're interested in. You can get more specific information from the financial aid office associated with the program to which you are applying.

Financial aid does not have restrictions about online courses except for those labeled as extended-term courses (nine months long, usually offered through the College of Continuing and Professional Studies). Before registering for an online course, contact your campus One Stop to see how your financial aid package may be affected by the courses you plan to take: Twin CitiesCrookstonDuluth, or Morris.


You may find it necessary to withdraw from all classes during a semester. If you withdraw from the University, you may be eligible to receive a refund of tuition and course fees depending on when you withdraw.

If you receive financial aid, you, as well as the Financial Aid Office, may be required to return all or a portion of the aid disbursed to you and/or to your student account to the government and/or University programs. This situation could result in you owing the aid funds to the University, the government, or both.

If your circumstances require you to withdraw from all classes, before taking any other action, contact your academic advisor and One Stop Student Services so your decision will be based on a clear understanding of the consequences of withdrawing from all classes.

Learn more about your campus' refund policies: Twin CitiesCrookstonDuluth, or Morris.

Student Complaint Resolution

Higher-education institutions delivering courses by distance education are required to provide the contact information for official entities or agencies within each state designated to handle complaint resolution. States are required by the US Department of Education (34 CFR 668.43(b)) to have a complaint process available to any enrolled or prospective student.

University of Minnesota (Duluth, Crookston, Twin Cities, Rochester, Morris) students enrolled in online and distance courses, as well as on-campus courses, should attempt to resolve complaints by following the (Duluth, Crookston, Twin Cities, Rochester, Morris) Campus Academic Grievance Procedure as outlined in that Campus' Catalog. 

SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) consumer protection provisions require the MN Office of Higher Education to investigate and resolve student complaints when students are not satisfied with the outcome of the University's formal grievance process. Students can file a complaint directly with the MN Office of Higher Education.

Professional Licensing Boards

Requirements for licensure vary from one profession to another and from state to state. If you are interested in professional licensure, please check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.

WIOA - Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) is a comprehensive federal program designed to assist underemployed or unemployed citizens with tuition and fees for WIOA-approved educational programs, certificates, and degrees. The University of Minnesota has received WIOA certification for many of its online bachelor, master, and certificate programs. After selecting a WIOA-approved program, contact your nearest CareerForce Center to request WIOA support for your career retraining. Let them know about the online programs that you feel would be a good fit with your career objectives.

WIOA-approved Programs (Online and Hybrid)

Bachelor's Degrees

  • Accounting
  • Applied Studies (degree completion)
  • Applied Health 
  • Business Management
  • Communication
  • Health Management
  • Information Technology Management
  • Manufacturing Management 
  • Manufacturing Management - Quality Management 
  • Manufacturing Operations Management (hybrid)
  • Marketing
  • Medical Lab Sciences (hybrid)

Baccalaureate and Post-Baccalaureate Certificates

  • Applied Business
  • Manufacturing Management
  • Manufacturing Operations Management (hybrid)

Master's Degrees

  • Occupational Therapy (hybrid)

Professional Development  

  • Human Resource Test Prep

Student Resources

For students new to online learning due to COVID-19, you may want to start here:

U of M Resources

Tips and Training