The US Department of Education (DoE) sets regulations regarding program integrity and financial aid for distance education programs. These regulations give the University of Minnesota guidance and acknowledge our authority to determine criteria for operating or offering distance education within Minnesota. These regulations also provide us with guidelines to maintain your eligibility for federal financial aid.

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements 

The University of Minnesota belongs to the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), a member supported nonprofit organization which coordinates and communicates Department of Education regulations on behalf of members, and also eases the way for institutions to offer learning activities outside of their home state.

Professional Licensure

A license to practice in your field may have specific state or national requirements. In many cases, if you are seeking a license in your field that goes beyond a diploma, you will need to reach out to a state or licensing entity to receive licensure credentials. Check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.

More Resources