Cost$900.00 per credit (resident and nonresident)
Application DeadlinesFall: March 15; Spring: October 15
CollegeCollege of Continuing and Professional Studies
The Sex Therapy Certificate meets the unique needs of aspiring or current sex therapists, and others working in related practices, who need a strong foundation in the knowledge areas required for future certification with the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT).*
The post-baccalaureate certificate features:
- specialized expertise to complement allied licenses
- faculty who are practicing sex therapists working at the cutting edge of the field
- projects that apply to the actual practice of sex therapy
- theory and practices of sex therapy grounded in empirical evidence
- a diverse and inclusive student environment
This certificate is offered in partnership between the Medical School’s Institute for Sexual and Gender Health and the College of Continuing and Professional Studies. Coursework can apply toward partial fulfillment of AASECT Sexuality Educator certification.
*To earn AASECT certification as a sex therapist, you must hold a valid state regulatory license or certificate for the state in which you practice.
Required Courses (12 credits)
The certificate consists of 12 credits. Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA for all degree coursework to remain in good standing.
- HSEX 6001 – Foundations of Human Sexuality (3 cr)
- HSEX 6211 – Dimensions of Sexual Functioning (3 cr)
- HSEX 6212 – Sex & Relationship Therapy (3 cr)
- HSEX 6213 – Sexual Trauma & Trauma-Informed Care (3 cr)
Students who have already taken HSEX 6001 as part of the Human Sexuality Certificate will instead take HSEX 6311 – Health Care for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Adults as the foundations course for the Sex Therapy Certificate.