Status message

COVID-19 Update: The University of Minnesota has suspended in-person instruction and will offer online, or alternative, instruction through the end of summer semester 2020. For the latest information on the University’s response to COVID-19, please see the Safe Campus website.

Master of Education in Family Education

Master of Education in Family Education group
Fully Online
$732.00 per credit (MN resident); $1,133.00 per credit (nonresident)
Total Credits
Graduate Degree
Application Deadlines
March 1 for Fall; October 1 for Spring
Twin Cities
College of Education and Human Development
Family Social Science

This entirely online, graduate-level master of education (M.Ed.) is available to students who wish to further their education as practitioners. Students are prepared to design, deliver, and evaluate educational programs in a variety of settings providing support and education to parents and families.

Students may also fulfill requirements for a parent education specialty teaching license as part of this degree (required for teaching ECFE programs in Minnesota).

Tuition and Financial Aid

Whether you will be charged resident or nonresident tuition varies depending on a combination of factors. Please contact the college you would like to attend for more details.

Financial aid is available for eligible students. Students must fill out the FAFSA form in order to apply for financial aid. Contact One Stop for additional information on financial aid.

Required Courses

This program requires 30 major credits. 

  • FSOS 5937 Parent-Child Interaction (3 cr)
  • FSOS 5942 Diverse Family Experiences (3 cr)
  • FSOS 5944 Curricular Design in Parent Education (3 cr)
  • FSOS 5945 Teaching and Learning in Parent Education (3 cr)
  • FSOS 5946 Assessment and Evaluation in Parent Education (3 cr)

AND 15 credits in a Supporting Focus.

For more information, view the program handbook.

Professional Licensing Boards

Requirements for licensure vary from state to state. Check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.