• On-Campus Component
  • Cost
    $1,100.00 per credit (resident and nonresident)
  • Total Credits
  • Credential
    Doctorate Degree
  • Admission GPA
  • Application Deadlines
    Early Decision Review: December 2 | Applications verified after Dec. 2 are reviewed on a rolling basis, and as such, can close or shift to waitlist-only consideration at any time, if enrollment capacity has been reached.
  • Campus
    Twin Cities
  • College
    School of Nursing

The Adult and Gerontology Nurse Practitioner specialty of the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program prepares registered nurses to provide holistic team-based care for adults and older adults. Graduates from the doctor of nursing program in this specialty are not only prepared to independently manage primary care needs of adults and older adults, but are also prepared to be leaders in health systems with a firm grounding in evidence-based practice and system change.

After graduation, students will be prepared to take the national certification examination for adult-gerontology primary care nurse practitioner.

This program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

Program Format

The post-baccalaureate option of the DNP program is a three-year full-time program. All DNP students are required to come to campus for a four-day session (Tuesday through Friday) each semester that includes core courses, enhancement programming, specialty courses and meetings with their advisor.

In addition, beginning in the second year of the program, students in the Adult and Gerontological Nurse Practitioner specialty are expected to be on campus for course work two additional times each semester for one to two days each time. Students also complete 1,000 hours at clinical sites arranged by the school.

Online Catalog

International Students

The DNP program at the University of Minnesota does not meet the requirements for eligibility necessary to obtain a F-1 student visa due to the limited face-to-face on-site classes per DNP. We ask that students with international transcripts use ECE or WES credential services for the international coursework evaluations course. We are only able to accept US citizens or permanent residents.