Parent Education Certificate
- Delivery:Fully Online
- Cost:$676.67 per credit (MN resident); $1,046.67 per credit (non-resident)
- Total credits:16
- Credential:Graduate Certificate
- Application deadlines:March 1 for summer and fall; October 1 for spring
- Campus:Twin Cities
- College:College of Education and Human Development
The Parent Education Certificate teaches students how to plan, coordinate, and teach parent education programs and services that address the intellectual, emotional, cultural, social, and physical needs of parents and children. In addition to working in educational settings (including public school parent education programs, preschools, child care centers, and Head Start programs), parent educators may also work in health care, social service agencies and institutions, and faith-based settings.
This certificate may be sought along with the Master of Education in Family Education (also fully online).
In Minnesota, a parent educator license is required for employment in ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) programs offered by public school districts. Learn more about the Parent and Family Education Licensure.
Requirements for licensure vary from state to state. Check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.
- FSOS 5932 Introduction to Parent Education (1 cr)
- FSOS 5937 Parent-Child Interaction (3 cr)
- FSOS 5942 Everyday Experiences of Families (2 cr)
- FSOS 5943 Parent Learning and Development: Implications for Parent Education (2 cr)
- FSOS 5944 Parent Education Curriculum (2 cr)
- FSOS 5945 Teaching and Learning in Parent Education (2 cr)
- FSOS 5946 Assessment and Evaluation in Parent Education (2 cr)
- FSOS 5949 Student Teaching in Parent Education (2 cr)