The Parent Education Certificate teaches students how to plan, coordinate, and teach parent education programs and services that address the intellectual, emotional, cultural, social, and physical needs of parents and children.
A certificate is most appropriate for students who wish to do parent and family education outside of Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE). These settings could include health care, social service agencies and institutions, and faith based settings.
In Minnesota, a parent educator license is required for employment in ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) programs offered by public school districts. Learn more about the Parent and Family Education Licensure.
Requirements for licensure vary from state to state. Check with the appropriate licensing body in the state where you intend to practice.
- FSOS 5937 Parent-Child Interaction (3 cr)
- FSOS 5942 Diverse Family Experiences (3 cr)
- FSOS 5944 Curricular Design in Parent Education (3 cr)
- FSOS 5945 Teaching and Learning in Parent Education (3 cr)
- FSOS 5946 Assessment and Evaluation in Parent Education (3 cr)