Dual Language and Immersion Education Certificate
- Delivery:Fully Online
- Cost:Per credit: $697.00 (resident); $1,078.00 (non-resident)
- Total credits:15
- Credential:Graduate Certificate
- Admission GPA:2.80
- Application deadlines:Spring: December 15; Summer: April 30; Fall: July 31
- Campus:Twin Cities
- College:College of Education and Human Development
- Department:Curriculum and Instruction
This certificate is designed to prepare licensed pre-K−12 educators in Minnesota to teach effectively in Dual Language Immersion (DLI) classrooms. Specifically, this will help teachers who work in a setting in which a second language (world, second, indigenous, or heritage) is the vehicle to teach school subjects unrelated to language, such as math or science.
For practicing educators outside of Minnesota who are interested in the certificate, please contact faculty advisor, Diane Tedick at email@example.com.
The program consists of three required courses (9 credits) and two electives (6 credits). Core curriculum topics include:
- Foundations of DLI education
- Curriculum development and assessment in DLI classrooms
- Language-focused instructional practices for DLI classrooms
View the full curriculum in the course catalog.
This program does not lead to state teaching certification or licensure. If you want a license to teach in immersion, dual language, or bilingual programs in Minnesota, see the initial licensure program in elementary education with a focus on dual language and immersion education.
You can pursue the certificate alone or together with a related graduate degree such as the MEd. in Professional Studies degree in Language Immersion Education or the MA in Second Language Education or PhD in Second Language Education (not all programs can be completed online).
You will need to apply to both the certificate program and the master’s program and then work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously.