Dual Language and Immersion Education Certificate

Three children at a table reading a book
Fully Online
Per credit: $711.00 (MN resident); $1,100.00 (nonresident)*
Total Credits
Graduate Certificate
Admission GPA
Application Deadlines
December 15 for spring 2019; April 30 for summer 2019; July 31 for fall 2019
Twin Cities
College of Education and Human Development
Curriculum and Instruction

This certificate is designed to prepare licensed pre-K−12 educators in Minnesota to teach effectively in Dual Language Immersion (DLI) classrooms. Specifically, this will help teachers who work in a setting in which a second language (world, second, indigenous, or heritage) is the vehicle to teach school subjects unrelated to language, such as math or science.

For practicing educators outside of Minnesota who are interested in the certificate, please contact faculty advisor, Diane Tedick at djtedick@umn.edu.


The program consists of three required courses (9 credits) and two electives (6 credits). Core curriculum topics include:

  • Foundations of DLI education
  • Curriculum development and assessment in DLI classrooms
  • Language-focused instructional practices for DLI classrooms

View the full curriculum in the course catalog.


This program does not lead to state teaching certification or licensure. If you want a license to teach in immersion, dual language, or bilingual programs in Minnesota, see the initial licensure program in elementary education with a focus on dual language and immersion education.

Program Options

You can pursue the certificate alone or together with a related graduate degree such as the MEd. in Professional Studies degree in Language Immersion Education or the MA in Second Language Education or PhD in Second Language Education (not all programs can be completed online).

You will need to apply to both the certificate program and the master’s program and then work with your adviser to plan your coursework to meet both requirements simultaneously.

*A Note About Tuition

Whether you will be charged resident or nonresident tuition varies depending on a combination of factors. Please contact the College of Education and Human Development for more details.