Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Delivery:Partially Online
- Cost:$482.54 per credit (MN resident); $854.24 per credit (nonresident)
- Total credits:120
- Credential:Undergraduate Degree
- Admission GPA:2.75
- Application deadlines:February 1, 2016 (Applications are still being accepted.)
- Campus:Twin Cities
- College:Center for Allied Health
The Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS) program (formerly Clinical Laboratory Sciences) at the University of Minnesota is the oldest baccalaureate medical laboratory educational program in the United States, whose first students graduated in 1923. The program prepares students to be research and development leaders in hospital, government, research, forensic, and industrial laboratories. Seven of our graduates have gone on to become presidents of the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS). Many others have gone on to medical school, pharmacy, or physician assistant programs. MLS graduates are eligible to take national certification examinations as medical laboratory scientists.
Scholarships and financial aid are available for eligible students. Students must fill out the FAFSA form and use code 003969 when applying for financial aid for this program.
- MLSP 5111 Concepts of Diagnostic Microbiology (3 cr)
- MLSP 5211 Fundamentals in Hematology and Hemostasis (3 cr)
- MLSP 5311 Fundamental Biomedical Laboratory Methods (4 cr)
- MLSP 5313 Chemical Analysis in Health and Disease (3 cr)
- MLSP 5511 Principles of Immunobiology (3 cr)
Employment of clinical and medical laboratory workers is expected to grow 22 percent between 2012 and 2022 (U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook).
The majority of new graduates find employment in hospital laboratories. Outisde the lab, MLS professionals find careers in infection control, medical records management, laboratory and hospital information systems, hospital administration, quality assurance and compliance programs, or transplant services.
For more career-related information, visit the program website.
The University of Minnesota Medical Laboratory Science program is proud to be fully accredited by the:
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N. River Rd, Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119