Applied Biostatistics Certificate
- Delivery:Primarily Online
- Cost:$961.00 per credit (MN resident); $1,262.00 per credit (nonresident)
- Total credits:16
- Credential:Graduate Certificate
- Admission GPA:3.0+ preferred
- Application deadlines:August 1 for fall; December 1 for spring; April 1 for summer
- Campus:Twin Cities
- College:School of Public Health
Our Applied Biostatistics Certificate is designed for those currently working as data managers or analysts, but who lack formal training in biostatistics and the science of uncertainty and would like to gain the corresponding technical, mathematical, and computational skills. The program will enhance your understanding of database management and investigation, alert you to key variables and trends, help you judge the statistical significance, and improve your overall data evaluation and programming skills. You'll learn key aspects of study design, implementation and analysis for both observational and clinical studies.
- PubH 6450 Biostatistics I (offered online or in-person)
- PubH 6451 Biostatistics II (offered online or in-person)
- PubH 6320 Fundamentals of Epidemiology (offered online or in-person)
- PubH 7415 Introduction to Clinical Trials (offered online only)
- PubH 6431 Topics in Hierarchical Bayesian Analysis (offered in-person only)
- PubH 6432 Biostatistical Methods in Translational and Clinical Research (offered in-person only)
With the explosion of “big data” arising from genomics studies, web-based social interactions, and other clinical and observational sources, the field of biostatistics is becoming more and more critical to sensible, well-informed decision making.
For example, the fields of clinical and translational research are expanding, driven by changing disease patterns and emerging therapeutic approaches from the laboratory, clinical, and population sciences. But there are growing concerns about the quality and safety of research in humans, as evidenced by public scandals and increasing regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The result is an increasing need for well-trained individuals who bring specific, technical biostatistical knowledge to the design, implementation, and interpretation of clinical and observational research studies.
Earning this certificate will provide you with the in-demand skills used in applying statistical techniques to solve today's problems in biology and biomedicine.